Monday, September 21, 2009

Meet the Parents

Apparently, my family is intimidating. I can honestly say that I can't think of anyone who has ever reacted that way about my family before. I love to tell stories about my family. I think they are absolutely the most awesome relatives a girl could have. I have always known that I was well-loved, that I was valued, that I was important to quite a few people. Usually, people tell me that they would love to meet my family.

Not Geek Boy. He is seriously intimidated at the thought of meeting my family. Part of this is probably my fault. I don't really censor my stories when I tell him about them, whereas I do somewhat depending on who I'm talking to in other cases. When I talk to Geek Boy, I'm usually telling him about someone being ridiculous or something outrageous that someone has said.

I am absolutely convinced that he will like my family and that they will like him in return. I told him that they're like me, and his response was that while he can handle me, several of me might be beyond his limits! In addition, he's very concerned about impressing them. I think it's unbearably sweet that he's so worried about it.

One thing that I am worried about is the difference between our family dynamics. I adore my family. I love spending time with them, going on trips with them, talking to them, doing things for them. There is nothing I wouldn't do for my family.

His family, on the other hand, are stoic Germans. His description. He said that his mom doesn't display much emotion. I don't think that he is like her in that way. I haven't really thought much about meeting his family. He hasn't expressed a big desire for me to meet them yet. I think it's more because of the family dynamic than it is because of me! While I was writing this, it occurred to me that I'm most likely going to have to tone it down for any time that I spend with his family. I'm generally not as outrageous at first as I get down the road, though!

While I do want him to meet my family and for them to like each other, I'm not all that eager to hurry it along. I like being with Geek Boy and I like it being something that is mine, that my family is not necessarily a part of. I want to keep it to myself and hoard all the precious moments. Eventually, we'll have to open our circle and let other people in. But not yet.

2 comments:

  1. Put it off! Once they're in you can NEVER kick them back out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dating someone much younger may not be an issue for either of you ... but it will be for some in the family. Mine are much more like yours, and I'd do anything for them an they are mostly open minded, warm accepting people. His, are not so close. I have no desire to get the "what are your intentions with my son" speech from his mother. And from what I hear, as an older woman dating a younger man, you always do. As long as he doesn't feel the need to introduce you (as mine doesn't - to his family anyway) then let it be. If you want him to meet yours ... do it in small doses. My Geekboy also wants to make a good enough impression, yet is geeky an shy so feels inadequate. One person at a time is working the best so far. Family holiday's together only if he's met them before the gathering.

    ReplyDelete