Thursday, August 27, 2009

Doing it by yourself

I went to the state fair yesterday. I love the fair. It's one of the things I missed most when I lived in California. I love fair food(although not the prices!)--who doesn't love a funnel cake? I do love fair rides, although I don't think I have ever ridden any at the state fair. The reason I really go is the exhibits.

I love seeing all the artwork that people submit in competition. Being an amateur photographer, I hit the photography exhibits almost first thing. I also enjoy needlecrafts, so I hit those next. I drool over the quilts and wish that I had room and money to pick up the hobby. My friend that I went with and I agreed that whoever was judging the knitted and crocheted items must not have been a knitter/crocheter him/herself. I loved the needlepoint items. The work is beautiful and imaginative and detailed and varied.

Wandering through the sheep pens made me really nostalgic! I was a member of the 4-H sheep club when I was in middle school. I had a lamb that I showed for two years in a row. I had to take my turn twice a week feeding and watering the whole herd. At the state fair, we sheared the sheep, washed them, groomed them, and showed them in the ring. I wasn't much good, but it was fun. At the end of the show, they sold our lambs. I never really felt much guilt over that, even though I'm vegetarian!

I went with a friend of mine who had never been to the state fair before. I'm glad that she and her son went because it was nice to have someone else drive. I probably wouldn't have gone if I had to go by myself. We stuck together for a little while, then I started feeling a bit dizzy. She and her son went to ride the rides while I spent time inside in the air conditioning inspecting the artwork.

I find it slightly ironic that I enjoyed my time wandering around by myself more than I enjoyed my time with my friend and her son. However, that's probably more because he's only 5 and doesn't have the patience or interest in the same things I do at the state fair. I can't imagine enjoying myself more than I did spending that time alone, wandering through the exhibits. If I could only get over the actual getting out of the house to do things by myself, I would be a very happy single person!

4 comments:

  1. I saw some beautiful quilts at our state fair last year. It made me wish I'd learned to quilt from my grandmother when I was younger! But she'd almost given it up by then, so that's an opportunity lost. But it's fun to view others' handiwork. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some things I'm perfectly comfortable doing alone (eating out, going to the movies, going on vacation) and some things I just can't do (like going to a state fair). I'm hoping that one day that will change and there won't be anything I"m not comfortable doing on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, I know what you mean--I love spending time by myself, but it's getting out of the house to do it that's hard. For the record, the Sprog and I had a fantastic time with you for the part we were together, and a fantastic time doing our own thing by ourselves while you did your own thing by yourself. So that worked out well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you weren't offended, H! I enjoyed myself with you guys, too. : ) Of course, now my cousin is griping because I didn't take her! And E wants to go, too. I may cave and take them on Sunday. : )

    Simone--I wish I was comfortable with eating out, going to the movies and going on vacation by myself! I'm a little jealous of you in that category.

    Timber--Neither of my grandmothers quilted, but one of them crocheted. Both of them passed before I was old enough to learn from them. My aunt did teach me how to crochet before she passed, though.

    ReplyDelete