Friday, October 29, 2010

Talking 'bout Lurve

Last year, I had a conversation on Twitter with a local guy about my blog and about love in general. He and I tweeted some back and forth, then had an email conversation. He'd read my blog and understood my point of view, but wanted to start a sort of counterpoint blog, one about looking for love. At the time, I was dating Geek Boy, and this guy is about the same age. He mentioned having a thing for a woman in his group about my age, so we had that aspect we shared.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago. The guy friended me on Facebook. Turns out that he works at the Panera where my knitting group meets. I am totally unobservant. We'd probably been friends on FB for a month or two before I actually looked at his pictures and realized that I'd seen him! I felt like a moron. He told me he hadn't said anything to me because he didn't want to be that creepy guy who was like "Um, yeah. I know you from online." He let ME be the creepy stalker chick and say "Hey, I know you from Twitter and Facebook!"

A couple of weeks ago, he was the one who took my order. We chatted quickly about blogging and the fact that he hasn't replied to my most recent email. I told him that I'd mostly quit blogging here because I didn't want to be one of those saccharine sweet people who gushes about how great his/her relationship is or how in loooooooooove they are.

I've been mulling over his response since then. He said that he couldn't imagine running out of things to write about love. In fact, he's got so much to say that he's started writing a book. That kind of knocked me sideways.

I guess I would admit to being a romantic. I read romance novels as a teenager. I feel like I have struggled with romance and love for a good percentage of my life. Part of my time I spent fighting against wanting it. Part of the time, I spent being depressed about it. At times, I was consumed with a break-up. Only a small portion of my life have I been able to relax and bend my energy toward other things in my life. I have been wholly consumed by the pursuit of love most of my life.

Being in love and loving someone is new. It's a daily journey. It's a process. It's a choice. It's hard work. I think I can find something to say about all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment